I STARTED Early--Took my Dog--And visited the Sea--
The Mermaids in the Basement Came out to look at me
--Emily Dickinson

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Using small paper punches...

I, uh, have quite a few paper punches:


I saw something months ago where someone used the punches on polymer clay--unbaked polymer clay.  I finally tried it--and it works great!  I roll the clay through a rather thin setting on my pasta machine (number 4--number 1 is thickest, number 7 is thinnest).  Here's a couple of punches I used:


Just slide the clay in the slot and punch it out:


Sometimes you have to punch it a couple of times and give it a little shake to release the punch.  Here's the wee little flower:


If you look at the second punch, you'll notice it has a lot of narrow little petals.  If you just try to punch out a polymer clay piece, it's not going to work (trust me--I've learned through frustrating experience).  It won't pop out and you'll have to dig the stupid thing out in pieces with a needle.  Oy!  So I finally figured out a way around that little problem...parchment paper!  Put a piece of parchment paper on top of the polymer sheet and put it in the punch, like so:


Make sure the parchment paper is on top--otherwise you'll still have the sticking problem.  It's really nice, the piece just pops right out.  Once you've punched it out, just peel off the paper and it works!


I also used a couple of small cutters to make flower centers and leaves and came up with these beads:


I really like this type of bead.  I expect I'll make a few more before the month is out....

No comments:

Post a Comment