I STARTED Early--Took my Dog--And visited the Sea--
The Mermaids in the Basement Came out to look at me
--Emily Dickinson

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Forest Floor - Part 1

*sigh*  This weeks Inspired by Nature challenge is Forest Floor.  Maybe it was the picture accompanying the challenge post...mushrooms!  *shudder* Vile, awful things they are!  I'm afraid I wasn't feeling the inspiration.  Maybe that's why I have an hour-long, one-way commute--it gives me time to think.  Or rather, not think.  I just kind of zone out and my creative side jumps out and gives me idea after idea.  Kind of hard to write down when you're driving, though.

So. I grew up on Port Susan Bay.  As a child, my life sort of revolved around the water.  The tide going in and out; playing out on the mud flats; swimming in the bay; beachcombing; logwalking.  How I loved the beach!  But wait a minute--how could I have forgotten the woods?  My siblings, cousins, and I played in the woods behind our house almost as much as we went down to the beach.  As I was driving home and thinking about it, the memories came so thick and fast that my eyes welled up.  And inspiration came.  Now if I could only find the materials I needed....

I went to Michaels looking for yarn.  The kind of yarn that was sort of fringey--I didn't know the name, but I would know the yarn when I saw it.  Sadly, no luck.  Fortunately, JoAnn's was nearby.  I found this wonderful yarn:

  It's called "Angel Hair Stripes."  It wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but if you could touch it, you'd know why I had to have it.  It was so VERY soft!  Anyway, maybe what I was really looking for would go with it.  *sigh* Nope.  I found the type of yarn I was looking for--eyelash yarn, but the color was all wrong--a cool, sagey-type green.  It wouldn't go with this lovely, warm-toned, delightfully soft, angel hair.  I went to the yarn store in Stanwood to see if I could find eyelash yarn in the right shade.  Well, no.  But I did find a couple of things that  might work:


Anyway, then I had to figure out what exactly I was going to do.  I spent most of today mixing colors of clay and trying to learn how to do a chain stitch.  UNfortunately, trying to crochet made me crochety.  Time for plan B....

No comments:

Post a Comment