So I went and reduced each of the squares and put them together sort of like the picture in the magazine:
Here's a pic of the cane before putting on the borders, a slice off the cane, and the end pieces (you can see sort of how it's put together):
I didn't have much reducing to do...I reduced each piece to near the size I wanted so I could reduce it just enough so the pieces would hold together. I wanted to minimize distortion and it seems to have worked.
Here's the finished ornament. I put the borders on the cane and finished it; whacked off a slice and baked it; then put it together:
Finally, here's the ornament with the picture of the quilt:
Now that it's finished, I like it a little better than the other night before it was put together. I've got to take it to Julie and see how she likes it.