I STARTED Early--Took my Dog--And visited the Sea--
The Mermaids in the Basement Came out to look at me
--Emily Dickinson

Sunday, November 10, 2013

"Rob Peter to Pay Paul" Quilt...

I met Julie Stewart of Keepsake Cottage Fabrics at the Heritage Festival in Bothell last month.  She recently had an article and quilt published in Better Homes and Gardens Quilt Sampler magazine (Spring/Summer 2013 issue).  She designed the quilt using the "Rob Peter to Pay Paul" pattern.  Here's a pic:


Isn't it gorgeous?  I'm trying to recreate it in polymer clay for her.  And I thought I'd record the process here.  I decided to use FimoSoft:


The colors are amazingly similar, so I didn't have to make much effort to match them.  Here's the mixed colors I'm using:


I'd spent the last couple of weeks conditioning clay and mixing the colors.  I think I have maybe twelve or fourteen packages of clay (I don't want to run out--I can't tell you how many times that happens!).  Anyway, I spent this weekend assembling a bunch of canes.  Normally, I would use solid colors, but I like the look of the patterning in the quilt and thought I'd give it a go.  Here's the canes:


The ones for the block centers are on the left and the ones for the outer part of the blocks are on the right.  I figure I need to make 18 blocks (total 36 canes--a few will have to double up).  I decided to make a slightly smaller, simpler version (like I did year before last with the quilt museum's quilt). 

Now I'm ready to assemble the canes into the quilt blocks.  And then the final quilt.  I'd like to finish up before the weekend, but we'll see....

No comments:

Post a Comment