I STARTED Early--Took my Dog--And visited the Sea--
The Mermaids in the Basement Came out to look at me
--Emily Dickinson

Sunday, April 27, 2014

So what do you do with all those cane ends? Part One



I'm so glad you asked!  Now I'm sure there are a LOT of people out there who are very patient and careful with their canes and have almost no waste.  Um...not me.  I'm far too impatient, so I tend to have a lot of waste at the ends (see above).  Never fear, though, I've come up with a few things to do with them.  Buckle up, kiddies...this will take a while.

So let's take a closer look...here are the cane ends from the rainbow cane I did a bit ago:



I'm going to flatten these things and run them through the pasta machine.  I'm going for the crushed ikat, but like almost everything else, there are choices.  I'm going to compress one so the colors are on the outside ends and one so that the white is on the outside ends.  Here, let me show you:




Heh.  How fortunate that I have two pieces each, so I don't need to make a choice.  Anyway, flatten them good and then run them through the pasta machine:



Fold them over:


and over again:


then once more through the pasta machine:


Hmmm...let's see what that looks like, shall we?




If you like the look, go ahead and cut and stack them up; otherwise fold and run through the machine again.  I wound up running them through one more time and then started cutting and stacking:


Ack!  Choices again!  I think this post is getting pretty long...I'll get into the options in part two....

2 comments:

  1. I love your ideas! You are clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for part 2 I love options🥰 thx so much for sharing ur great idea xx

    ReplyDelete