I STARTED Early--Took my Dog--And visited the Sea--
The Mermaids in the Basement Came out to look at me
--Emily Dickinson

Sunday, April 27, 2014

So what do you do with all those cane ends? Part two

I tend to go two ways with ikat canes...squares and petals.  It can be a difficult decision, sometimes.


And that's not the only choice.  Do I stack them up with the colors going all one way like I did below, or flip them and alternate the layers as I did above.


Eh...I went with all one way:








Don't compress together too quickly...try it a couple of different ways and see how you like it.  Different color combinations and layers can look great one way, not so much another.  Once you've decided on how you want it, compress them into squares (to start with, anyway):





Do you  mind if I blather on about some observations here?  The canes with the white on the ends look a little muddy to me.  I think if you're using snail's trail cane ends, it turns out better to have the colors on the outside.  The white gives definition to the layers on the inside and they look better.  Of course, it depends on what YOU like, so experiment away!

I'm going to make one of the muddy ones into a square cane.  Cut the cane on the diagonal; flip one piece around to make a triangle; stand the triangle on it's longest side and cut through it lengthwise; flip one piece over and push them together to make a square; TA-DA!






Okay, for the next one, I took the initial cane and just started pressing in the sides; take it slow and work your way up and down the cane; you can work it with your fingers until it's the petal shape you want; TA-DA!:




Here's the canes I made:


But wait--there's more!  Remember those little tips you cut off (well, you should have cut off), after passing the smashed cane ends through the pasta machine?  I even do something with those...in part three!


No comments:

Post a Comment