I STARTED Early--Took my Dog--And visited the Sea--
The Mermaids in the Basement Came out to look at me
--Emily Dickinson

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Demos at Clay Camp - Saturday...

There are usually three or four demos at Clay Camp every year.  This year we had demos by Meredith, Charlie, Shannon, and...me!  And maybe one or two others--oh my lamentable memory!  Anyway, I'm always surprised when someone wants me to do a demo or teach a class.  I don't feel like an expert in anything; I feel like I'm still a newbie--learning new things every day just like everyone else.  But it certainly makes me feel good and I love to share what I know.

I demoed smashed ikat again this year.  Heh--didn't I just say I didn't feel like an expert and that I'm learning new things?  Well, I learned that white and pastels don't always work that successfully in some things.  Here's a picture for example:

It's kind of hard to see the detail, yes?  So for this particular application, not so good.  BUT, I also did another smashed ikat cane:


And this is what I made with it:


I like the way it turned out, although the picture doesn't really do it justice....

No comments:

Post a Comment